Alameda de Paula

CA3
Famous Street
CA Ranking: 3
Admission: n-a
Avenida del Puerto from San Ignacio to Oficios, Habana Vieja
  • The construction of the Alameda de Paula, one of Havana’s first promenades, was commissioned by Captain General Felipe de Fondesviela, member of the court of King Carlos III, and built by architect Antonio Fernández de Trebejos in 1777. Initially, this promenade was merely a dirt track with some benches, flanked by two lines of poplars. It was named Paula after the nearby church of San Francisco de Paula.

    This stretch became one of the city’s most visited places after a tiled pavement and stone seats were added in 1805. A few years later, a fountain with a marble column was built in honor of Captain General Leopoldo O’Donell. Today, the column survives.

    In 1841, the narrow stairs were expanded and several lamps were installed, making it even more attractive for Habaneros. And in 1845, the pavement, benches and stairs were improved, and a lovely esplanade was built. By 1847, a marble fountain was installed. And it was around that time that construction works began for many of the mansions near the promenade. The area kept gaining in popularity and more mansions were built around it. Many of these constructions are now regarded as jewels of Cuban architecture. Unfortunately, in 1911 part of the promenade was demolished by a US company to make room for port and storage facilities.

     

    
  • Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña

    Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña  LH 5+

    Constructed after the capture of Havana by British forces and named San Carlos de la Cabaña in honor of King Carlos III, this 700-meter long fortress is the largest in the Americas. It was designed by …

    El Chanchullero

    El Chanchullero  LH 5+

    El Chanchullero has got to win the most surprisingly good place in Havana award. This looks like a hole in the wall place in a downright run down looking part of Old Havana. It is a hassle to get to b …

    Tren de Hershey

    Tren de Hershey  LH 5+

    In 1926, Pennsylvania based Hershey Corporation built a 135-km-long electric railroad network in Cuba to transport product and personnel from Havana to Hershey’s sugar factory 45 km east of the capita …

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)  LH 5+

    Along the banks of the Almendares River is Parque Almendares, also known as Bpsque de La Haband (Havana’s Forest). This is the only urban forest in the city and is a recreational area for Habaneros th …

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba  LH 5+

    In response to the increasing influx of American tourists in the late 20s (mainly those who were escaping Prohibition, in force in the United States at the time), the construction of a luxury hotel wa …

    Callejón de Hamel

    Callejón de Hamel  LH 5+

    The narrow two-block long alley between Aramburu and Hospital streets in Centro Habana has over the years become a shrine to Afro-Cuban religions through the art created by Salvador González. The buil …

    Plaza de Armas

    Plaza de Armas  LH 5+

    The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed fo …

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón  LH 5+

    History & architecture Declared National Monument in 1987, this is the most important cemetery in Cuba and its 57 hectares (10 acres) makes it the largest in America. According to Enrique Martínez …

    Plaza de San Francisco

    Plaza de San Francisco  LH 5+

    Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market …

    Plaza de la Catedral

    Plaza de la Catedral  LH 5+

    The last of the main squares to be created, this is one of Old Havana’s most beautiful spots. Originally, it was named Plaza de la Ciénaga (Swamp Square) because of its muddy terrain, but by the 18th …

    « 3 of 22 pages »