Stretching 14 blocks, this street takes its name from the San Lázaro Hospital built in 1746. It was s=successively renamed as Calle Ancha del Norte, Calle del Basurero, Avenida Antonio Maceo and Avenida de la República, until finally the Town Council changed its name back to San Lázaro.
San Lázaro was one of the most important streets in Havana in colonial times. It was known mainly for the funeral processions that travelled down the street to the Espada Cemetery.
It began to be populated in 1815, but the buildings situated in the area suffered the effects of two hurricanes in 1844 and 1846, respectively, and a flood on December 26, 1859. Among its most notable buildings is the Hermanos Ameijeiras Hospital. San Lázaro Street is today a priority for the Office of the City Historian, which has implemented a plans to renovate the most valuable buildings situated here.