Overlooking Central Park, this theatre was completed in 1951, with seating for 1,890, occupying the theater of the same name that had been constructed in 1877. The academic architecture of the building blends perfectly into the eclectic neighborhood a few steps away from the Capitol and the Garcia Lorca Theatre both on the other side of the street. The interior is typical 1950s-style modernity using concepts by the architect Eugenio Batista who oversaw the plans. Long glass panels at the entrance, visible beams in the ceiling and the integration of the visual arts with architecture expressed by sculpture by Rita Longa in the lobby and the theatre’s interior. Unfortunately time has not been kind to the building.
Calle 23 #111 entre O y P, El Vedado