Convento e Iglesia de Santa Clara de Asís

CA3
Church / other
Architectural style: Spanish colonial
CA Ranking: 3
Admission: Free
Cuba #602 e/ Luz y Sol, Habana Vieja
  • The concern of Havana’s best families over the fate of their unmarried daughters led to the construction of this convent, which would eventually become the first nunnery in Cuba. Construction works began in 1638 and ended in 1643. The convent was subsequently rebuilt and included extensions to the cloisters and smaller but continued changes which ended in the construction of the second floor for tall cells, the completion of the church, an infirmary and an orchard. In 1922, the building was abandoned by the nuns due to its dilapidated state.

    Repaired in 1923, it was opened for the celebration of public events, having been previously purchased by fraudulent means by the Covernment of the time. This gave rise to ‘La Protesta de los Trece’ (The Protest of the Thirteen), one of the most important events in Cuban History.

    Open once more to the public, the simple, stark exterior of the building, its thick masonry walls and extensive tile roof belie the surprising richness of the interior, which features ornately carved wooden ceilings and beautiful leafy patios. Two of the three cloisters are fully restored: one houses the Centro Nacional de Conservación, Restauración y Museología (CENCREM), the organisation in charge of restoring artefacts from all over Cuba; the other contains a small free-standing building run as a cheap and moderately cheerful Moorish-style hostal, Residencia Académica.

     

    
  • Tren de Hershey

    Tren de Hershey  LH 5+

    In 1926, Pennsylvania based Hershey Corporation built a 135-km-long electric railroad network in Cuba to transport product and personnel from Havana to Hershey’s sugar factory 45 km east of the capita …

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)  LH 5+

    Along the banks of the Almendares River is Parque Almendares, also known as Bpsque de La Haband (Havana’s Forest). This is the only urban forest in the city and is a recreational area for Habaneros th …

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba  LH 5+

    In response to the increasing influx of American tourists in the late 20s (mainly those who were escaping Prohibition, in force in the United States at the time), the construction of a luxury hotel wa …

    Callejón de Hamel

    Callejón de Hamel  LH 5+

    The narrow two-block long alley between Aramburu and Hospital streets in Centro Habana has over the years become a shrine to Afro-Cuban religions through the art created by Salvador González. The buil …

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón  LH 5+

    History & architecture Declared National Monument in 1987, this is the most important cemetery in Cuba and its 57 hectares (10 acres) makes it the largest in America. According to Enrique Martínez …

    Plaza de Armas

    Plaza de Armas  LH 5+

    The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed fo …

    Plaza de San Francisco

    Plaza de San Francisco  LH 5+

    Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market …

    Plaza de la Catedral

    Plaza de la Catedral  LH 5+

    The last of the main squares to be created, this is one of Old Havana’s most beautiful spots. Originally, it was named Plaza de la Ciénaga (Swamp Square) because of its muddy terrain, but by the 18th …

    The Malecón

    The Malecón  LH 5+

    The Malecón, first named Avenida del Golfo, is Cuba’s most famous sea-side avenue. The project was undertaken by Don Francisco de Albear, Cuba’s greatest engineer at the time. Albear came up with a co …

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar  LH 5

    Opened in 1953, this is Cuba’s second largest church, which is visible for several blocks due to its vast dome built in Roman-Byzantine style. The Jesús de Miramar church boasts 14 large mural paintin …

    1 of 22 pages »