Convento e Iglesia del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús e Ignacio de Loyola

CA4
Church / other
Architectural style: Eclectic
CA Ranking: 4
Open: 8am-noon, 3-6pm daily; Mass: 8am, 4.30pm Mon-Sat; 8am, 9.30am, 4.30pm Sun
Reina (Avenida Simón Bolivar) entre Belascoaín (Padre Valera) y Gervasio
  • Known by many as Iglesia de Reina, Cuba’s tallest and perhaps most beautiful church rises in the midst of the urban landscape as one of the most accomplished religious constructions in Cuba in terms of architecture. Its notable 77-meter tall tower, topped by a 4-meter tall bronze cross, with 32 gargoyles and a variety of statuettes. The inside is lit by 69 spectacular stained-glass windows. It can be seen from several spots in Havana.

    Construction began on August 7, 1914 under Jesuit architect Brother Luis Gogorza and after its completion, the church was inaugurated by Bishop Pedro González Estrada on May 3, 1923. Its pointed arch, ogival vaults, narrow walls, large windows and notable stained-glass windows (that represent the life of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, as well as passages from Loyola’s and other Jesuit saints’ life), are all gothic stylistic elements.

    This church has three naves and three doors. The floor of the central nave consists of stone and glass tiles, and has the Greek letters alpha and omega engraved on it by the entrance. From the street (Reina), you can see the image of the Sacred Heart carved in wood and a group of five angels with their wings spread to form a baldachin. By the altar, there is a bronze plaque where Jesus is portrayed as a slaughtered lamb. The two lateral naves form a Latin cross, where there is also an image of the Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre, patron saint of Cuba. In addition, the parish has one of Cuba’s fanciest organs. Several distinguished architects have praised this church’s façade, but have also criticized its location and interior.

    
  • Plaza de Armas

    Plaza de Armas  LH 5+

    The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed fo …

    Plaza de San Francisco

    Plaza de San Francisco  LH 5+

    Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market …

    Plaza de la Catedral

    Plaza de la Catedral  LH 5+

    The last of the main squares to be created, this is one of Old Havana’s most beautiful spots. Originally, it was named Plaza de la Ciénaga (Swamp Square) because of its muddy terrain, but by the 18th …

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba  LH 5+

    In response to the increasing influx of American tourists in the late 20s (mainly those who were escaping Prohibition, in force in the United States at the time), the construction of a luxury hotel wa …

    Callejón de Hamel

    Callejón de Hamel  LH 5+

    The narrow two-block long alley between Aramburu and Hospital streets in Centro Habana has over the years become a shrine to Afro-Cuban religions through the art created by Salvador González. The buil …

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón  LH 5+

    History & architecture Declared National Monument in 1987, this is the most important cemetery in Cuba and its 57 hectares (10 acres) makes it the largest in America. According to Enrique Martínez …

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar  LH 5

    Opened in 1953, this is Cuba’s second largest church, which is visible for several blocks due to its vast dome built in Roman-Byzantine style. The Jesús de Miramar church boasts 14 large mural paintin …

    Catedral de La Habana

    Catedral de La Habana  LH 5+

    The entry of the Jesuits in Cuba was formally requested in 1656, and in 1727, a plot was granted for their school and church. Bishop Brother Gerónimo Valdés explained to the King of Spain that Havana’ …

    The Malecón

    The Malecón  LH 5+

    The Malecón, first named Avenida del Golfo, is Cuba’s most famous sea-side avenue. The project was undertaken by Don Francisco de Albear, Cuba’s greatest engineer at the time. Albear came up with a co …

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)  LH 5

    History & architecture Considered the most important example of baroque architecture in the city, this grand building on the west side of the plaza was built in 1792, on the sight of the former pa …

    1 of 22 pages »