Convento e Iglesia del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús e Ignacio de Loyola

CA4
Church / other
Architectural style: Eclectic
CA Ranking: 4
Open: 8am-noon, 3-6pm daily; Mass: 8am, 4.30pm Mon-Sat; 8am, 9.30am, 4.30pm Sun
Reina (Avenida Simón Bolivar) entre Belascoaín (Padre Valera) y Gervasio
  • Known by many as Iglesia de Reina, Cuba’s tallest and perhaps most beautiful church rises in the midst of the urban landscape as one of the most accomplished religious constructions in Cuba in terms of architecture. Its notable 77-meter tall tower, topped by a 4-meter tall bronze cross, with 32 gargoyles and a variety of statuettes. The inside is lit by 69 spectacular stained-glass windows. It can be seen from several spots in Havana.

    Construction began on August 7, 1914 under Jesuit architect Brother Luis Gogorza and after its completion, the church was inaugurated by Bishop Pedro González Estrada on May 3, 1923. Its pointed arch, ogival vaults, narrow walls, large windows and notable stained-glass windows (that represent the life of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary, as well as passages from Loyola’s and other Jesuit saints’ life), are all gothic stylistic elements.

    This church has three naves and three doors. The floor of the central nave consists of stone and glass tiles, and has the Greek letters alpha and omega engraved on it by the entrance. From the street (Reina), you can see the image of the Sacred Heart carved in wood and a group of five angels with their wings spread to form a baldachin. By the altar, there is a bronze plaque where Jesus is portrayed as a slaughtered lamb. The two lateral naves form a Latin cross, where there is also an image of the Virgen de la Caridad del Cobre, patron saint of Cuba. In addition, the parish has one of Cuba’s fanciest organs. Several distinguished architects have praised this church’s façade, but have also criticized its location and interior.

    
  • Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro

    Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro  LH 5+

    Designed by Italian engineer Juan Bautista Antonelli and built by slaves with rocks extracted from the moats in the last decades of the 16th century, the Morro Castle to defend the town of San Cristob …

    Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña

    Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña  LH 5+

    Constructed after the capture of Havana by British forces and named San Carlos de la Cabaña in honor of King Carlos III, this 700-meter long fortress is the largest in the Americas. It was designed by …

    El Chanchullero

    El Chanchullero  LH 5+

    El Chanchullero has got to win the most surprisingly good place in Havana award. This looks like a hole in the wall place in a downright run down looking part of Old Havana. It is a hassle to get to b …

    Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes – Edificio de Arte Internacional

    Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes – Edificio de Arte Internacional  LH 5

    The International collection (Edificio de Arte Internacional) In 2001, after the new venues were chosen for the National Museum of Fine Arts, the international collection was installed in the former C …

    Tren de Hershey

    Tren de Hershey  LH 5+

    In 1926, Pennsylvania based Hershey Corporation built a 135-km-long electric railroad network in Cuba to transport product and personnel from Havana to Hershey’s sugar factory 45 km east of the capita …

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)  LH 5+

    Along the banks of the Almendares River is Parque Almendares, also known as Bpsque de La Haband (Havana’s Forest). This is the only urban forest in the city and is a recreational area for Habaneros th …

    Plaza de Armas

    Plaza de Armas  LH 5+

    The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed fo …

    Plaza de San Francisco

    Plaza de San Francisco  LH 5+

    Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market …

    Plaza de la Catedral

    Plaza de la Catedral  LH 5+

    The last of the main squares to be created, this is one of Old Havana’s most beautiful spots. Originally, it was named Plaza de la Ciénaga (Swamp Square) because of its muddy terrain, but by the 18th …

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba  LH 5+

    In response to the increasing influx of American tourists in the late 20s (mainly those who were escaping Prohibition, in force in the United States at the time), the construction of a luxury hotel wa …

    « 3 of 22 pages »