In 1919, Romualdo Lalueza, a wine and liquor wholesaler and importer from Spain, occupied the building where he had his warehouse and canteen café called El Baturro. Well into 1944, he advertised his establishment as an old and accredited house importing well-known Spanish wine, liquor and products. Nowadays, the Spanish food tradition and atmosphere still endure in the restaurant, although some Cuban food is also offered.
It has a bar, a mezzanine and two rooms–the main room and a private room for a more intimate and special occasion. El Baturro is situated near the Cuban Central Railway Station and the longest and best-preserved stretch of the old city wall is within sight. The all had been built to protect the town from unexpected enemy raids and illegal entry of goods.