Housed in the former Casa del Conde de Jaruco and restored in 1979, this exhibition space is devoted mainly to solo exhibitions although it also includes catalogues of leading contemporary Cuban artists. A store and a gallery–Tienda de Ediciones Artísticas and Galería Diago–are also housed in the art center. The mansion was purchased by Gabriel Beltrán de Santa Cruz y Aranda in 1770 after receiving the title of Count of San Juan de Jaruco, from which the house takes its name, although the Count actually lived there briefly. After his death in 1772, the house was inherited by his cousin-wife Teresa Rita Beltrán de Santa Cruz y Calvo. The house was the birthplace of the notable writer and singer Dona Mercedes de Santa Cruz y Montalvo, afterwards Countess of Merlin, and a place of reunion of many illustrious visitors to Havana. The ceilings are masterpieces of the best carpentry; the courtyard, portals and rooms are majestically large and are surrounded by arches, some of them with beautiful stained-glass windows.