Habana 1791: The Perfume shop

CA3
General sightseeing
CA Ranking: 3
Open: 9:30am-6pm daily
Admission: Free
Mercaderes #156, esq. a Obrapía, Habana Vieja
Also included in Shopping section
  • Habana 1791: The perfume shop

    Located in an 18th-century mansion at the corner of Mercaderes and Obrapía, this beautiful shop and laboratory sells 12 varieties of scents or colognes. The bottles are made by Cuban ceramists while others are imported, like the ones from India. Customers are welcome to try out the ready-made colognes. A personal mixture can be made up by the helpful shop assistants. This beautiful building with its neoclassical façade was never used for living purposes. It opened as a perfumery shop and drugstore and throughout its life it was also a hardware store, café and tenement building. It was reopened as the Habana 1791 perfumery shop after extensive restoration.

     A city can recover and restore not only its architecture, but also its everyday basic essences. And Habana 1791 did just that. Habana 1791 is more than a place to buy perfume (you can make those last minute guilty assuaging purchases at the airport Duty Free). The beautiful perfume shop-cum-laboratory is a house full of fragrances. The shop has 12 different scents that have been rescued from colonial times: Rose, Jasmine, Violet, Orange Blossom, Lilac, Ylang-Ylang, Patchouli, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Citric and Lavender. Each possesses powerful secrets that exalt the senses. You can also find other, more intriguing scents, such as gardenia or the very unconventional chocolate and even tobacco.

    The perfume is handcrafted, as are the bottles (which come in many sizes and styles) into which the perfume or cologne is decanted. Some are made and decorated by Cuban ceramists and others are imported, like the ones from India. They are fitted with a cork and sealed in wax, and placed inside a small linen bag.

    Custom-made scents are also created according to a customer’s desires. Before bottling up one or several scents in the form of a perfume, the alchemist-perfumer chats with the customers to discover their state of mind, character, mood and nature. The finished product is therefore unique–no two fragrances are alike.

    For the aroma experts at La Habana 1791, the scents of different plants have characteristics that go beyond taste and cleanliness. This is why they are staunch defenders of aromatherapy, not only to treat skin disorders but emotional disorders as well.

    Rose oil is aromatic and intense. It is always linked to love and sensuality. It counteracts states of violence and aggressiveness.

    Orange blossom causes a feeling of peace and relaxation. It is revitalizing and gives joy to the body and mind.

    Sandalwood is intense and spiritual. It is linked to good fortune.

    Ylang-Ylang works on the heart and is considered an aphrodisiac.

    Lavender is an aid against shyness. It boosts self-esteem. It balances and stimulates.

    Patchouli frees the user from anxiety and balances emotions. It is also believed to be a powerful aphrodisiac.

    Citric oils are refreshing and invigorating.

    Jasmine is relaxing and encourages passion and eroticism.

    Vetiver is a sedative and a tonic. In olden days it was placed in sachets to scent clothes and linen.

    Lilac helps to enhance the power of concentration.

    Tobacco is a masculine scent. It is intense yet pleasant and spiritual. It is very much identified with our origins.

    Violet represents modesty and discretion. It is a very feminine scent of love.

    A perfume may evoke an era, feelings, memories and this one-off shop brings back to our noisy, populous and busy city the scents and fragrances of Colonial Havana.

     

    
  • Plaza de Armas

    Plaza de Armas  LH 5+

    The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed fo …

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón  LH 5+

    History & architecture Declared National Monument in 1987, this is the most important cemetery in Cuba and its 57 hectares (10 acres) makes it the largest in America. According to Enrique Martínez …

    Plaza de San Francisco

    Plaza de San Francisco  LH 5+

    Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market …

    Catedral de La Habana

    Catedral de La Habana  LH 5+

    The entry of the Jesuits in Cuba was formally requested in 1656, and in 1727, a plot was granted for their school and church. Bishop Brother Gerónimo Valdés explained to the King of Spain that Havana’ …

    The Malecón

    The Malecón  LH 5+

    The Malecón, first named Avenida del Golfo, is Cuba’s most famous sea-side avenue. The project was undertaken by Don Francisco de Albear, Cuba’s greatest engineer at the time. Albear came up with a co …

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula  LH 5

    In 1664 the Presbyter of the Cathedral of Havana, don Nicolás Estévez Borges, ordered the construction of a chapel devoted to Saint Francis of Paola (founder of the Roman Catholic Order of the Minims) …

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar  LH 5

    Opened in 1953, this is Cuba’s second largest church, which is visible for several blocks due to its vast dome built in Roman-Byzantine style. The Jesús de Miramar church boasts 14 large mural paintin …

    Edificio Bacardí

    Edificio Bacardí  LH 5

    The first and main exponent of art deco in the city belonged to Emilio Bacardí and was the home to his famous rum company. After winning the contest held by Bacardí, architects E. Rodríguez, R. Fernán …

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)  LH 5

    History & architecture Considered the most important example of baroque architecture in the city, this grand building on the west side of the plaza was built in 1792, on the sight of the former pa …

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam  LH 5+

    The north-west corner of the square is occupied by the 18th-century Casa de los Condes de Peñalver, which has at different times served as a post office, a bank and a school. Today, it houses the Cent …

    1 of 22 pages »