Initially located on Amistad Street and relocated in 1899 to its present site, the Telégrafo Hotel was rebuilt in 1911 and was considered then one of the most modern hotels in Havana. In 2001 it was refurbished by the City Historian’s Office. The inner patio has preserved the semi-circular archs that display the original bricks, in contrast with the modern design of the building.
In the early 20th century, the Telégrafo Restaurant was popular with businessmen for providing telephones on the tables from where local and international phone calls were made. The hotel reopened in the early 2000s following extensive renovations, which sought to maintain the original façade as much as possible.
The hotel restaurant has two access points, one from the lobby and the other one from the doorway adjacent to the Louvre Sidewalk. The menu offers standard international fare and in our view is no great shakes. We do, however, like the bar/café which has a much better ambience and which will do decent sandwiches.