Iglesia del Santo Ángel Custodio

CA3
Church / other
Architectural style: Gothic revival
CA Ranking: 3
Open: 9am-6pm Tues-Sun
Admission: Free
Compostela y Cuarteles or Avenida de las Misiones y Cuarteles, Habana Vieja
  • Located on Loma del Angel, or Angel Hill, the church was originally built in the second half of the 17th century and expanded with two lateral naves in the mid-18th century. After having been largely destroyed in 1844 due to a hurricane, the church was rebuilt from 1866 to 1871 in the beautiful Gothic Revival style we see today. It is easy discernible for its many pinnacles. Although the church’s main entrance is on Compostela, you can enter through the more visible door on Avenida de las Misiones (Monserrate), which interestingly is right next to the altar. Two of Cuba’s most outstanding sons, Félix Varela and José Martí, were baptized here. This alone gives the church an enormous historical value. Also, it was the setting for the climax scene of Cecilia Valdés, the most important romantic novel of Latin American 19th-century literature, written by Cuban author Cirilo Villaverde.

    Opening hours: 9am-noon & 3-6pm Tues-Sun

    
  • Plaza de Armas

    Plaza de Armas  LH 5+

    The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed fo …

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón  LH 5+

    History & architecture Declared National Monument in 1987, this is the most important cemetery in Cuba and its 57 hectares (10 acres) makes it the largest in America. According to Enrique Martínez …

    Plaza de San Francisco

    Plaza de San Francisco  LH 5+

    Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market …

    Plaza de la Catedral

    Plaza de la Catedral  LH 5+

    The last of the main squares to be created, this is one of Old Havana’s most beautiful spots. Originally, it was named Plaza de la Ciénaga (Swamp Square) because of its muddy terrain, but by the 18th …

    The Malecón

    The Malecón  LH 5+

    The Malecón, first named Avenida del Golfo, is Cuba’s most famous sea-side avenue. The project was undertaken by Don Francisco de Albear, Cuba’s greatest engineer at the time. Albear came up with a co …

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar  LH 5

    Opened in 1953, this is Cuba’s second largest church, which is visible for several blocks due to its vast dome built in Roman-Byzantine style. The Jesús de Miramar church boasts 14 large mural paintin …

    Catedral de La Habana

    Catedral de La Habana  LH 5+

    The entry of the Jesuits in Cuba was formally requested in 1656, and in 1727, a plot was granted for their school and church. Bishop Brother Gerónimo Valdés explained to the King of Spain that Havana’ …

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)  LH 5

    History & architecture Considered the most important example of baroque architecture in the city, this grand building on the west side of the plaza was built in 1792, on the sight of the former pa …

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula  LH 5

    In 1664 the Presbyter of the Cathedral of Havana, don Nicolás Estévez Borges, ordered the construction of a chapel devoted to Saint Francis of Paola (founder of the Roman Catholic Order of the Minims) …

    Edificio Bacardí

    Edificio Bacardí  LH 5

    The first and main exponent of art deco in the city belonged to Emilio Bacardí and was the home to his famous rum company. After winning the contest held by Bacardí, architects E. Rodríguez, R. Fernán …

    1 of 22 pages »