Lonja del Comercio

CA4
General sightseeing
Architectural style: Eclectic
CA Ranking: 4
Open: 9am-5pm Mon-Sun
Lamparilla, esq. a Oficios, Habana Vieja
  • The Lonja del Comercio, which first opened on March 1909, is angled obliquely to the square on its northern side. It was built in eclectic-style by the architectural firm of Purdy and Henderson as a center for commodities trading. The original five-story building had a steel structure and used reinforced concrete for the roof and mezzanines and cement blocks for the outside walls. In 1939, an additional top floor was added, but fortunately it remained true to the initial conception of the building. The beautiful golden dome is crowned by a bronze statue of the god Mercury—a replica of the original work of the messenger god by Flemish artist Jean Boulogne (aka Giovanni Bologna).

    The ground floor was originally used for warehouses and the stock market, the 2nd and 3rd floors provided office space, while the 4th and 5th floors, which adopted a more sober ornamentation, were leased to customs brokers and trading companies.

    In the 1990s the entire building was gutted and new, very contemporary styled, innards built with effusive use of stainless steel and glass. Alas, the addition of a rooftop floor with a reflective glass façade obstructs the view of the beautiful golden dome and of Mercury. However, visitors can enter the building during working hours to admire the striking cupola (no photos allowed).

    The solid construction, which uses elements of the Spanish Renaissance style, is mitigated thanks to the light that filters in through numerous openings, and to the rhythm set by classical arches, columns and pilasters (retained in the reconstruction), both in the façade and in the interiors, arranged around a central courtyard.

    It now houses various international trade and diplomatic offices, the radio station Habana Radio of the City Historian’s Office, plus offices of Etecsa and foreign news bureaus and tour companies.

     

     

    
  • Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula  LH 5

    In 1664 the Presbyter of the Cathedral of Havana, don Nicolás Estévez Borges, ordered the construction of a chapel devoted to Saint Francis of Paola (founder of the Roman Catholic Order of the Minims) …

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar  LH 5

    Opened in 1953, this is Cuba’s second largest church, which is visible for several blocks due to its vast dome built in Roman-Byzantine style. The Jesús de Miramar church boasts 14 large mural paintin …

    Edificio Bacardí

    Edificio Bacardí  LH 5

    The first and main exponent of art deco in the city belonged to Emilio Bacardí and was the home to his famous rum company. After winning the contest held by Bacardí, architects E. Rodríguez, R. Fernán …

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)  LH 5

    History & architecture Considered the most important example of baroque architecture in the city, this grand building on the west side of the plaza was built in 1792, on the sight of the former pa …

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam  LH 5+

    The north-west corner of the square is occupied by the 18th-century Casa de los Condes de Peñalver, which has at different times served as a post office, a bank and a school. Today, it houses the Cent …

    Plaza Vieja

    Plaza Vieja  LH 5+

    The 16th-century Plaza Vieja has always been a residential rather than a military, religious or administrative space, and is surrounded by elegant colonial residences, combined with a few very strikin …

    Paseo del Prado

    Paseo del Prado  LH 5+

    In colonial times, this promenade received several names, including Nuevo Prado, Alameda de Extramuros, Paseo de Isabel II and Paseo del Prado, and with cuba’s independecne, it became Paseo de Martí. …

    Convento e Iglesia de la Merced

    Convento e Iglesia de la Merced  LH 5

    Built between 1865 and 1867, this is arguably one of Havana’s most lush churches. The temple stands opposite a small square and its façade, constructed in Baroque style, features the principal door wi …

    Almacenes de San José

    Almacenes de San José  LH 5

    This former harborside warehouse was built in 1885 and is considered the oldest depository in Old Havana. The sober and imposing façade that looks out onto the city conceals the building’s steel struc …

    Quinta Avenida

    Quinta Avenida  LH 5+

    Initially called Avenida de las Américas, Quinta Avenida (Fifth Avenue) stretches from the tunnel that connects it to Calzada Street, in Vedado, to the Santa Ana River, in the locality of Santa Fe. Co …

    « 2 of 22 pages »