Situated on the northern coast of Havana, this is Cuba’s most traditional marina and dates back to a pre-Revolutionary time, when it was known as Barlovento.
Named after renowned American author Ernest Hemingway, the marina was built between 1956 and 1957 and has a surface area of 600,000 square meters. It provides maintenance and repair services to the approximately 400 recreational and sport boats it can hold. Additionally, it has a hotel with 383 rooms in addition to houses and bungalows for rent, sports facilities, a supermarket, coffee-shops restaurants, shops (including a specialized hardware store), a Casa del Habano, a small amusement park, medical services, a cybercafé, a drugstore and other facilities. For visitors who prefer staying on board, essentials such as drinking water, electricity, fuel, communications and television are available. It requires no visa or reservation, although visitors’ arrivals should be announced in advance if canals VHF 17 or VHF 72 are going to be used. Marina Hemingway also hosts yacht races and several fishing contests, including the Ernest Hemingway, the Blue Marling and the Wahoo.