Museo de la Ciudad Palacio de los Capitanes Generales

CA5
Top Pick
Museum / Cultural center
Architectural style: Baroque
CA Ranking: 5
Best for: Beautiful courtyard. His and hers Carrara marble nautilus shell baths
Worst for: Can get extremely busy in peak periods.
Open: 9am-6pm daily
Admission: CUC 3
Cuba e/ Obispo y O’Reilly, Habana Vieja
  • History & architecture

    Considered the most important example of baroque architecture in the city, this grand building on the west side of the plaza was built in 1792, on the sight of the former parish church, as the imposing Palacio de los Capitanes Generales (Governor’s Palace). It served as Spanish colonial government headquarters until 1898 and housed 65 Capitanes Generales, after which it served as the center of U.S. military administration (1898-1902), then as the Cuban president’s resident, and finally (1920-67) as the City Hall.

    The two-story limestone building was not completed in its final form until 1835, when Governor Miguel Tacón moved in. The façade is adorned with the shield of the city and features a deep loggia supported on thick columns. Peacocks roam the tree-filled courtyard, where a Carrara marble statue of Christopher Columbis presides.

    It is today the Museo de la Ciudad—the fabulous City Museum telling the tale of the city’s history. In addition to the private quarters of the captains general and their families, the museum includes historical exhibitions and displays of old horse-drawn carriages, uniforms and artillery pieces, and funerary and religious art.

     

    For Visitors

    The Captain General’s apartments are furnished in the sumptuous style of their epoch, as is the Salón del Trono (Throne Room) with its throne prepared for a visit (which never happened) by the King of Spain. The his and hers Carrara marble nautilus shell baths are particularly wonderful.

    Admission details:

    CUC 3, CUC 5 (incl. guide), free under-12s

    
  • Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón  LH 5+

    History & architecture Declared National Monument in 1987, this is the most important cemetery in Cuba and its 57 hectares (10 acres) makes it the largest in America. According to Enrique Martínez …

    Catedral de La Habana

    Catedral de La Habana  LH 5+

    The entry of the Jesuits in Cuba was formally requested in 1656, and in 1727, a plot was granted for their school and church. Bishop Brother Gerónimo Valdés explained to the King of Spain that Havana’ …

    The Malecón

    The Malecón  LH 5+

    The Malecón, first named Avenida del Golfo, is Cuba’s most famous sea-side avenue. The project was undertaken by Don Francisco de Albear, Cuba’s greatest engineer at the time. Albear came up with a co …

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula  LH 5

    In 1664 the Presbyter of the Cathedral of Havana, don Nicolás Estévez Borges, ordered the construction of a chapel devoted to Saint Francis of Paola (founder of the Roman Catholic Order of the Minims) …

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar  LH 5

    Opened in 1953, this is Cuba’s second largest church, which is visible for several blocks due to its vast dome built in Roman-Byzantine style. The Jesús de Miramar church boasts 14 large mural paintin …

    Edificio Bacardí

    Edificio Bacardí  LH 5

    The first and main exponent of art deco in the city belonged to Emilio Bacardí and was the home to his famous rum company. After winning the contest held by Bacardí, architects E. Rodríguez, R. Fernán …

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam  LH 5+

    The north-west corner of the square is occupied by the 18th-century Casa de los Condes de Peñalver, which has at different times served as a post office, a bank and a school. Today, it houses the Cent …

    Avenida de los Presidentes (Calle G)

    Avenida de los Presidentes (Calle G)  LH 4

    This avenue takes its name, Avenida de los Presidentes (Avenue of the Presidents), from the monuments that have been placed on its wide promenade to honor some of Cuba’s former presidents as well as o …

    Parque Temático Isla del Coco

    Parque Temático Isla del Coco  LH 4

    Cuba’s first theme park opened in 2008 on the site of Havana’s former Coney Island Park. The very old park was razed to the ground to give way to the new attractions. There are rides for kids of all a …

    Lonja del Comercio

    Lonja del Comercio  LH 4

    The Lonja del Comercio, which first opened on March 1909, is angled obliquely to the square on its northern side. It was built in eclectic-style by the architectural firm of Purdy and Henderson as a c …

    « 4 of 22 pages »