Museo de la Revolución

CA5
Top Pick
Museum / Cultural center
Architectural style: Eclectic
CA Ranking: 5
Best for: Interior decoration, by Tiffani Studios, is nothing short of breathtaking with pieces by renowned Cuban artists Armando Menocal and Antonio Rodríguez Morey.
Open: 10am-5pm daily
Admission: CUC 5
Refugio #1 e/ Avenida de las Misiones y Zulueta, Habana Vieja
  • History & architecture
    In 1909, Governor General Aubert decided to build a new venue for the Provincial Government where the old city wall used to be. The design was by architects Rodolfo Marurí (Cuba) and Paul Belau (Belgium) and the construction was commissioned to the General Contracting Company at a cost of over 1.5 million pesos.

    By the end of 1917, First Lady Mariana Seva was captivated by the magnificence and superb location of this edifice. Through legal stunts, her husband, President Mario García Menocal, took possession of the building, still under construction, away from the Provincial Government and by 1918 it became the Presidential Palace. Works were finally completed in January, 1920, and the building was officially inaugurated.

    The opulence of the building contrasts with its surroundings. One example is the Carrara marble main staircase. The exterior walls are made of stone and the interior walls were made of reinforced concrete. Curiously enough, the polychrome tiled cupola, finished in terracotta, with its four pendentives (decorated by E. Valderrama and M. González) was not part of the original design. Interior decoration, by Tiffani Studios, is nothing short of breathtaking with pieces by renowned Cuban artists Armando Menocal and Antonio Rodríguez Morey.

    The building is an important part of post-revolutionary Cuban history. After the triumph of the Revolution, from 1959 to 1965, the building housed both the Government and the Council of Ministers and in 1965, the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba was formed at the still Presidential Palace. In 1974, it became a museum dedicated to the Cuban Revolution, and two years later, it witnessed the approval of the 1976 Constitution. In 2010, it was declared National Monument.

    For Visitors
    The world-famous Tiffany’s of New York decorated the interior. Highlights here include the Salón de los Espejos, which is a replica of the Hall of Mirrors in the Palace of Versailles, and the Salón Dorado (Golden Hall), made of yellow marble with gold embossing on the walls. Four canvases by Esteban Valderrama and Mariano Miguel González mounted on 18-carat gold sheets grace the walls. There are permanent exhibitions on the history of Cuban struggles from the 15th century to the present, including Che Guevara’s pipe and the uniform of Cuban cosmonaut Arnaldo Tamayo.

    In March 1957 the palace was the target of an unsuccessful assassination attempt against Batista led by revolutionary student leader José Antonio Echeverría. Bullet holes from the failed attempt are still visible in the Palacio’s main stairway. The museum itself descends chronologically from the top floor starting with Cuba’s pre-Columbian culture and extending to the present-day. The downstairs rooms have some interesting exhibits on the 1953 Moncada attack and the life of Che Guevara. Most of the labels are in English and Spanish. In front of the building is a fragment of the former city wall, as well as an SAU-100 tank used by Castro during the 1961 battle of the Bay of Pigs. One hall is dedicated to the so-called Special Period.

    Behind the museum (and included in the ticket price) is the Pabellón Granma, a memorial to the 18m yacht that carried Fidel Castro and 81 other revolutionaries from Tuxpán, Mexico, to Cuba in December 1956 to launch the Revolution. The boat, displayed behind glass, is surrounded by planes, vehicles and weapons used during the Revolutionary wars against Batista and in the Battle of Playa Girón (Bay of Pigs).

    Admission details: CUC 5 (incl. camera); free under-12s.
    Tour CUC 2 (Spanish only)

    
  • Catedral de La Habana

    Catedral de La Habana  LH 5+

    The entry of the Jesuits in Cuba was formally requested in 1656, and in 1727, a plot was granted for their school and church. Bishop Brother Gerónimo Valdés explained to the King of Spain that Havana’ …

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)  LH 5

    History & architecture Considered the most important example of baroque architecture in the city, this grand building on the west side of the plaza was built in 1792, on the sight of the former pa …

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula  LH 5

    In 1664 the Presbyter of the Cathedral of Havana, don Nicolás Estévez Borges, ordered the construction of a chapel devoted to Saint Francis of Paola (founder of the Roman Catholic Order of the Minims) …

    Edificio Bacardí

    Edificio Bacardí  LH 5

    The first and main exponent of art deco in the city belonged to Emilio Bacardí and was the home to his famous rum company. After winning the contest held by Bacardí, architects E. Rodríguez, R. Fernán …

    Convento e Iglesia de la Merced

    Convento e Iglesia de la Merced  LH 5

    Built between 1865 and 1867, this is arguably one of Havana’s most lush churches. The temple stands opposite a small square and its façade, constructed in Baroque style, features the principal door wi …

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam  LH 5+

    The north-west corner of the square is occupied by the 18th-century Casa de los Condes de Peñalver, which has at different times served as a post office, a bank and a school. Today, it houses the Cent …

    Quinta Avenida

    Quinta Avenida  LH 5+

    Initially called Avenida de las Américas, Quinta Avenida (Fifth Avenue) stretches from the tunnel that connects it to Calzada Street, in Vedado, to the Santa Ana River, in the locality of Santa Fe. Co …

    Plaza Vieja

    Plaza Vieja  LH 5+

    The 16th-century Plaza Vieja has always been a residential rather than a military, religious or administrative space, and is surrounded by elegant colonial residences, combined with a few very strikin …

    Paseo del Prado

    Paseo del Prado  LH 5+

    In colonial times, this promenade received several names, including Nuevo Prado, Alameda de Extramuros, Paseo de Isabel II and Paseo del Prado, and with cuba’s independecne, it became Paseo de Martí. …

    Arte Corte (Papito’s)

    Arte Corte (Papito’s)  LH 5+

    Established about eight years ago, Arte Corte is a hairdressing salon that is also an “interactive museum” where the customer, while comfortably seated in a hundred year-old chair awaiting their turn, …

    1 of 22 pages »