Located within a sober, eclectic building, the museum presents the historical development of music and musical instruments from the 16th to the 20th centruries in Cuba. It has 10 rooms for exhibitions (five of them for travelling exhibitions), which feature a collection of African drums, string instruments, music boxes, old phonographs, a Chinese organ and one of the first gramophones.
Sound-related services are offered and a music shop sells CDs, cassettes and magazines about Cuban music. The museum is now under restoration and some of its collections have been temporarily situated at Obrapía 509, e/ Bernaza y Villegas. Still, the building can be admired from outside.
It was built in 1905 by a rich merchant who used the second floor as the family’s residence and rented the ground floor. The portico features solid Corinthian columns imitating the Italian renaissance. The inside is in the eclectic style, which is characteristic of the architecture and ornamentation of the time. This is one of the most elegant Havana homes of the early 20th-century.