Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón

Top Pick
Church / other
Architectural style: Eclectic
CA Ranking: 5
Open: 9am-5pm daily
Admission: CUC 1
Zapata y 12
  • History & architecture Declared National Monument in 1987, this is the most important cemetery in Cuba and its 57 hectares (10 acres) makes it the largest in America. According to Enrique Martínez y Martínez, in the Cuba Arquitectura y Urbanismo magazine, Cementerio de Colón “was the most notable religious construction built in the city in the 19th century.” Given the richness of its architecture and sculptures, it is also regarded as one of the most valuable religious constructions in the world, from a cultural viewpoint.

    In 1854, Cuba’s Governor Marquee of Pezuela tried to get a permit to have this cemetery built, but to no avail. It was finally authorized by Royal Decree in 1866. Construction works took almost 15 years and the cemetery was built as per the design of Calixto de Loira, the Spanish architect who won the contest organized to that end. The layout was designed with five crosses formed by streets that intersect perpendicularly. The two main avenues form the central cross, where the central chapel is located.

    A miniature city of marble, bronze, polished granite, angels, crosses and rich symbolism, Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón boasts works by some of Cuba’s most renowned 19th- and 20th-century artists, including Miguel Melero, José Vilalta de Saavedra, René Portocarrero, Rita Longa, Eugenio Batista, Max Borges Recio and Juan José Sicre. The entrance is topped by a Carrara marble sculpture, 34 meters longs and 21.6 meters tall, that represents faith, hope and charity.

    Many of the family vaults are smaller-scale versions of their owners’ mansions. Arches, cupolas, and stained-glass windows adorn these constructions. The most visited tomb is that of Amelia Goire de la Hoz, a high-society lady, who is now known as La Milagrosa (The Miracle Lady). Noteworthy is also the tomb of 1921-1927 World Chess Champion José Raúl Capablanca, featuring the sculpture of a king chess piece.

    A dazzling miniature city of creamy marble, glittering bronze, polished granite, angels, crosses and rich symbolism, Cementerio Colón was designed by Spanish architect Calixto de Loira and built between 1871 and 1886, on 55 hectares (136 acres) of former farm land. Laid out in a grid divided by calles and avenidas, with the octagonal Capilla Central (central chapel) at its heart, the cemetery has monuments, tombs and statues by outstanding 19th- and 20th-century artists. Plots were assigned according to social class, and soon became a means for patrician families to display their wealth and power with ever more elaborate tombs and mausoleums. The main entrance is marked by a grandiose gateway decorated with biblical reliefs and topped by a marble sculpture by José Vilalta de Saavedra, Faith, Hope and Charity. Some of the most important and elaborate tombs lie between the main gate and the Capilla Central: the Capilla del Amor (Chapel of Love) built by Juan Pedro Baró for his beloved wife Catalina Laza; the exquisite Monumento a los Bomberos (Firemen’s Monument) built by Spanish sculptor Agustín Querol and architect Julio M Zapata to commemorate the 28 firemen who died when a hardware shop in La Habana Vieja caught fire in 1890; and probably the most visited grave in the cemetery, La Milagrosa (The Miraculous One), the final resting place for Amelia Goyri de Hoz who died in childbirth in 1901 and was buried here with her stillborn baby at her feet. When her tomb was opened some years later, the dead child was found in Amelia’s arms. Ever since, the mother has been the centre of popular myth, and is celebrated as the Miraculous One, symbolising eternal hope. A huge number of famous Cubans have also found their final resting place here, including General Máximo Gómez, novelist Alejo Carpentier, composer Hubert de Blanck and countless martyrs to the Revolution. Start your visit at the information office (left of the main entrance), where you can enlist the services of an excellent English-speaking guide.

  • The Malecón

    The Malecón  LH 5+

    The Malecón, first named Avenida del Golfo, is Cuba’s most famous sea-side avenue. The project was undertaken by Don Francisco de Albear, Cuba’s greatest engineer at the time. Albear came up with a co …

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar  LH 5

    Opened in 1953, this is Cuba’s second largest church, which is visible for several blocks due to its vast dome built in Roman-Byzantine style. The Jesús de Miramar church boasts 14 large mural paintin …

    Catedral de La Habana

    Catedral de La Habana  LH 5+

    The entry of the Jesuits in Cuba was formally requested in 1656, and in 1727, a plot was granted for their school and church. Bishop Brother Gerónimo Valdés explained to the King of Spain that Havana’ …

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)  LH 5

    History & architecture Considered the most important example of baroque architecture in the city, this grand building on the west side of the plaza was built in 1792, on the sight of the former pa …

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula  LH 5

    In 1664 the Presbyter of the Cathedral of Havana, don Nicolás Estévez Borges, ordered the construction of a chapel devoted to Saint Francis of Paola (founder of the Roman Catholic Order of the Minims) …

    Edificio Bacardí

    Edificio Bacardí  LH 5

    The first and main exponent of art deco in the city belonged to Emilio Bacardí and was the home to his famous rum company. After winning the contest held by Bacardí, architects E. Rodríguez, R. Fernán …

    Convento e Iglesia de la Merced

    Convento e Iglesia de la Merced  LH 5

    Built between 1865 and 1867, this is arguably one of Havana’s most lush churches. The temple stands opposite a small square and its façade, constructed in Baroque style, features the principal door wi …

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam

    Centro de Arte Contemporáneo Wifredo Lam  LH 5+

    The north-west corner of the square is occupied by the 18th-century Casa de los Condes de Peñalver, which has at different times served as a post office, a bank and a school. Today, it houses the Cent …

    Quinta Avenida

    Quinta Avenida  LH 5+

    Initially called Avenida de las Américas, Quinta Avenida (Fifth Avenue) stretches from the tunnel that connects it to Calzada Street, in Vedado, to the Santa Ana River, in the locality of Santa Fe. Co …

    Plaza Vieja

    Plaza Vieja  LH 5+

    The 16th-century Plaza Vieja has always been a residential rather than a military, religious or administrative space, and is surrounded by elegant colonial residences, combined with a few very strikin …

    1 of 22 pages »