The Pabellón Cuba was built to host the 7th Conference of the Unión Nacional de Arquitectos (National Union of Architects), one of the first major international events held in Havana after the triumph of the Revolution. Construction works were completed on April 24, 1929, in just 72 days, occupying two parcels (on 23rd and 21st streets respectively) separated by Edificio N, an office building. Designed by architects D. Evelio Govantes and D. Félix Cabarrocas and executed by members of the armed forces under army engineers Luis Hernández Sabio y Alfonso González del Real, the solution was to create two exhibition rooms connected by a tunnel on the third floor. And with 7- to 14-meter high reinforced concrete columns and lightweight concrete tiles, in addition to being a rather new construction, this peculiar exhibition hall, located on La Rampa, integrates perfectly with its surroundings. The building makes reference to Cuba’s architectural tradition: large eaves, courtyard, porch, galleries, closed and semi-open spaces and gardens (for the latter, approximately 200 Cuban species were used).
In addition to art and science exhibitions, symposiums on cultural topics and recreational activities for children and youngsters, the Pabellón Cuba host Arte en La Rampa (Art on La Rampa), one of Havana’s major fairs that includes shows for children, concerts and fashion shows.