The most magnificent mansion in Havana during the first half of the 19th century, it was in a prime location, opposite to the Military Camp, which in 1928 would become the Parque de la Fraternidad Americana, or American Fraternity Park. Originally, the palace was two separate houses. The doors that looked onto Reina Street gave access to the home of the wealthy landowner Domingo Aldama while the entrance on the opposite end of the building gave access to the home of his daughter Rosa, who was married to the essayist, journalist and cultural promoter Domingo del Monte.
Made with ashlar stone, the beautiful Doric column portal facing Amistad Street was 56 meters long. Ionic pilasters that alternate with the windows are predominant on the first floor. It has the traditional structure of top floor, mezzanine and main or ground floor (a third floor was added years later and, fortunately, demolished afterwards), with a central patio, which, strangely enough, is not surrounded by the typical 18th-century galleries. The grand central Carrara marble staircase and the magnificent ceilings with Pompeian paintings are only two of the highlights of the building’s interior. Today it is the home of the Cuban History Institute.