Paseo del Prado

CA5
Top Pick
Famous Street
CA Ranking: 5
Prado from Neptuno to Avenida del Puerto, Habana Vieja
Also included in For Kids section
  • In colonial times, this promenade received several names, including Nuevo Prado, Alameda de Extramuros, Paseo de Isabel II and Paseo del Prado, and with cuba’s independecne, it became Paseo de Martí. However, people keep calling it simply “El Prado.”

    Construction works began in 1772 under Don Felipe Fonsdeviela y Ondeano, the Marquis de la Torre, Governor and Captain General of Cuba, who is considered Havana’s first town planner. He is also responsible for the construction of Alameda de Paula, the first theater in Havana, El Principal, and the Palacio de los Capitanes Generales, among many other important public buildings.  In time, the street became very popular with the city’s bourgeoisie. In 1884, it was remodeled and gained prominence with improvements on the street lighting, paving and benches. Additionally, important buildings and other constructions began to be erected on either side, which made the area even more appealing, and by the early 20th century, it had become the most popular location among well-off families to build their residences. In the late 1920s, as part of the expansion of Havana led by the French landscape artist Jean Claude Nicolas Forestier and a team of French and Cuban collaborators, the Paseo del Prado got the bronze lions, lamp-posts and marble benches we see today. Calle Prado is divided into four well demarcated sections: the Paseo, Parque Central, the area in front of the Capitolio and Parque de la Fraternidad. It was not until 1904 that it officially became Paseo Martí.

    
  • Plaza de Armas

    Plaza de Armas  LH 5+

    The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed fo …

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón

    Necrópolis de Cristóbal Colón  LH 5+

    History & architecture Declared National Monument in 1987, this is the most important cemetery in Cuba and its 57 hectares (10 acres) makes it the largest in America. According to Enrique Martínez …

    Plaza de San Francisco

    Plaza de San Francisco  LH 5+

    Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market …

    Plaza de la Catedral

    Plaza de la Catedral  LH 5+

    The last of the main squares to be created, this is one of Old Havana’s most beautiful spots. Originally, it was named Plaza de la Ciénaga (Swamp Square) because of its muddy terrain, but by the 18th …

    The Malecón

    The Malecón  LH 5+

    The Malecón, first named Avenida del Golfo, is Cuba’s most famous sea-side avenue. The project was undertaken by Don Francisco de Albear, Cuba’s greatest engineer at the time. Albear came up with a co …

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar

    Iglesia de Jesús de Miramar  LH 5

    Opened in 1953, this is Cuba’s second largest church, which is visible for several blocks due to its vast dome built in Roman-Byzantine style. The Jesús de Miramar church boasts 14 large mural paintin …

    Catedral de La Habana

    Catedral de La Habana  LH 5+

    The entry of the Jesuits in Cuba was formally requested in 1656, and in 1727, a plot was granted for their school and church. Bishop Brother Gerónimo Valdés explained to the King of Spain that Havana’ …

    Edificio Bacardí

    Edificio Bacardí  LH 5

    The first and main exponent of art deco in the city belonged to Emilio Bacardí and was the home to his famous rum company. After winning the contest held by Bacardí, architects E. Rodríguez, R. Fernán …

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)

    Museo de la Ciudad (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)  LH 5

    History & architecture Considered the most important example of baroque architecture in the city, this grand building on the west side of the plaza was built in 1792, on the sight of the former pa …

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula

    Iglesia de San Francisco de Paula  LH 5

    In 1664 the Presbyter of the Cathedral of Havana, don Nicolás Estévez Borges, ordered the construction of a chapel devoted to Saint Francis of Paola (founder of the Roman Catholic Order of the Minims) …

    1 of 22 pages »