Plaza de Armas

CA5
Top Pick
City squares / parks
CA Ranking: 5
Admission: None
Limited by Obispo, O’Reilly, Cuba & Baratillo, Habana Vieja
  • The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed following the explosion of the HMS Invicible in the harbor (the mast landed on the church). The square had by then already been cobbled, although it was renamed Plaza de Armas—essentially, “Parade Ground”—and became the main administrative center of the city.

    In colonial times, the square was the site of military parades, musical concerts and formal evening promenades, and it maintained its political and administrative role until the mid-20th century. It is surrounded by buildings spanning four centuries.

    In the center of the square is Parque Céspedes, pinned by a white marble statue of Carlos Manuel de Céspedes, initiator of the Cuban wars of independence and Father of the Homeland. Surrounded by royal palms and ceiba trees, the statue was made by Cuban artist Sergio López Mesa and replaced a statue of Spanish King Fernando VII, installed in 1834 when Miguel Tacón commissioned a remodeling that shaped the square we see today. (The original statue of Fernando VII stands in the loggia of the Palacio de los Capitanes Generales, on the square’s west side; he holds in his hand a scroll that when seen from the side gives the impression that he’s holding an erect penis.)

    Note that the street on the west side of the plaza is a parquet of wood. This, supposedly so that passing carriages would not disturb the governor’s sleep. Originally of long-lasting ironwood, the street was recently relaid with blocks of inferior quality and is deteriorated. Immeditely south of this street, at the plaza’s southwest corner, 17th-century school for orphan girls is now a popular bar-restaurant: La Mina.

     

    
  • El Chanchullero

    El Chanchullero  LH 5+

    El Chanchullero has got to win the most surprisingly good place in Havana award. This looks like a hole in the wall place in a downright run down looking part of Old Havana. It is a hassle to get to b …

    Tren de Hershey

    Tren de Hershey  LH 5+

    In 1926, Pennsylvania based Hershey Corporation built a 135-km-long electric railroad network in Cuba to transport product and personnel from Havana to Hershey’s sugar factory 45 km east of the capita …

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)  LH 5+

    Along the banks of the Almendares River is Parque Almendares, also known as Bpsque de La Haband (Havana’s Forest). This is the only urban forest in the city and is a recreational area for Habaneros th …

    Plaza de San Francisco

    Plaza de San Francisco  LH 5+

    Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market …

    Plaza de la Catedral

    Plaza de la Catedral  LH 5+

    The last of the main squares to be created, this is one of Old Havana’s most beautiful spots. Originally, it was named Plaza de la Ciénaga (Swamp Square) because of its muddy terrain, but by the 18th …

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba  LH 5+

    In response to the increasing influx of American tourists in the late 20s (mainly those who were escaping Prohibition, in force in the United States at the time), the construction of a luxury hotel wa …

    Callejón de Hamel

    Callejón de Hamel  LH 5+

    The narrow two-block long alley between Aramburu and Hospital streets in Centro Habana has over the years become a shrine to Afro-Cuban religions through the art created by Salvador González. The buil …

    Castillo de la Real Fuerza

    Castillo de la Real Fuerza  LH 4

    History & architecture Considered an engineering marvel, this fortress on the plaza’s northeast corner is one of the oldest European defensive structures in the Americas, and the first built to gu …

    La Moderna Poesía

    La Moderna Poesía  LH 4

    Owned by the López Serrano family–who evidently had a preference for Art Deco–this bookstore is a sample of how the sober interplay between lines and volumes can achieve a discreet elegance highligh …

    Parque Lenin

    Parque Lenin  LH 4

    Approximately 25 kilometers south of Havana is Parque Lenin, inaugurated on April 22, 1972 by Fidel Castro on the initiative of Celia Sánchez. The huge bust of Lenin, carved in 1982 by Soviet sculptor …

    « 4 of 22 pages »