Plaza de San Francisco

CA5
Top Pick
City squares / parks
CA Ranking: 5
Oficios & Ave. del Puerto, Habana Vieja
Also included in For Kids section
  • Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market that was moved to Plaza Vieja after complaints from the monks because of the noise. Aside from the Convento de San Francisco de Asís, the spacious square is dominated by Lonja del Comercio on the north side and the the Aduana (Customs House) and Sierra Maestra cruise ship terminal on the east side with the Fuente de los Leones in the center. The Plaza de San Francisco underwent a full restoration in the late 1990s.

    Formerly a small inlet covered by the waters of the bay, Plaza de San Francisco dates from 1575. From the start it was a commercial center, and during the colonial period a fair took place here every October with coin and card games, lotteries and cock fights – perhaps an early sign of Havana’s future role as a gambling mecca. One of the terminals of the Zanja Real, the first aqueduct in the Americas, the water supply in the square helped to victual ships tied up at the wharves that fringed the square. In its day it has also been home to a governor, a mayor and the city jail, and some of the buildings around the square were the residences of some of the city’s most wealthy and notable inhabitants.

    Today, this spacious, paved square is dominated by the 18th-century basilica on the south side, with its impressive tower, the Lonja del Comercio (1909) on the north side, and the Aduana (1914, Customs House) and Sierra Maestra cruise ship terminal on the east side. More modern additions include Benetton, restaurants – whose tables, chairs and umbrellas are gradually sprawling unattractively into the treeless square – and the Agencia de Viajes San Cristóbal which specialises in cultural tourism in Old Havana. To one side of the square, the Carrara marble Fuente de los Leones was sculpted in 1836 by Italian artist Giuseppe Gaggini.

    The 42-metre (140-foot) tower, which tops the baroque Basílica Menor y Convento de San Francisco de Asís, was the tallest in Havana and the second tallest in Cuba after Trinidad’s Iznaga Tower.

    
  • Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes – Edificio de Arte Cubano

    Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes – Edificio de Arte Cubano  LH 5

    Edificio de Arte Cubano – The Cuban collection The 30,000 plus pieces that form the Cuban collection is divided into six basic sections: Colonial Art (from the 16th to the 19th century), with a room d …

    Casa-Estudio de José Fuster

    Casa-Estudio de José Fuster  LH 5+

    José Antonio Rodríguez Fuster is a ceramist, draftsman, painter and printmaker. He has made illustrations for several publications, participated in a number of international symposiums and events, and …

    Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro

    Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro  LH 5+

    Designed by Italian engineer Juan Bautista Antonelli and built by slaves with rocks extracted from the moats in the last decades of the 16th century, the Morro Castle to defend the town of San Cristob …

    Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes – Edificio de Arte Internacional

    Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes – Edificio de Arte Internacional  LH 5

    The International collection (Edificio de Arte Internacional) In 2001, after the new venues were chosen for the National Museum of Fine Arts, the international collection was installed in the former C …

    Maqueta de La Habana

    Maqueta de La Habana  LH 5+

    This scale model of Havana is the third largest scale model in the world. It was built at a scale of 1:1000 and spans over 144 square meters. It is approximately 22 meters long and 10 meters wide and …

    Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña

    Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña  LH 5+

    Constructed after the capture of Havana by British forces and named San Carlos de la Cabaña in honor of King Carlos III, this 700-meter long fortress is the largest in the Americas. It was designed by …

    El Chanchullero

    El Chanchullero  LH 5+

    El Chanchullero has got to win the most surprisingly good place in Havana award. This looks like a hole in the wall place in a downright run down looking part of Old Havana. It is a hassle to get to b …

    Coppelia

    Coppelia  LH 4

    Also known as La Catedral del Helado (the Cathedral of Ice Cream), this is the setting where the award winning Cuban film Fresa y Chocolate (Strawberry and Chocolate) begins. Coppelia, named after the …

    Acuario Nacional de Cuba

    Acuario Nacional de Cuba  LH 4

    This aquarium is a scientific center that specializes in research and environmental protection awareness and promotion, especially sea plant and animal life. The Acuario Nacional de Cuba opened on Jan …

    Barrio Chino

    Barrio Chino  LH 4

    Located just a few meters away from El Capitolio, this is the largest and most important Chinatown in the New Continent. According to historian Julio Le Riverend, between 1847 and 1874, around 150,000 …

    « 4 of 22 pages »