The Saratoga Hotel reborn

The oldest reference of what today is the elegant Saratoga Hotel dates back to 1879 when a contract was signed for the construction of a three-storey buildoing. Standing on a portion of the former wall that once surrounded and protected the old city, the Saratoga Hotel is over a century later as magnificent and radiant as it must have been in its initial days.

Back in 1879, the wealthy proprietor Gregorio Palacios signed a 98,000 gold peso contract with engineers José Fermín de Musquiz and Adolfo Suarí for the construction of a three-storey building. The first floor was set aside for stores and a tobacco storehouse, the second for homes, and the third for a hotel or a boarding. In 1881, however, Palacios sued the builders for delays in the construction schedule. In turn, the engineers lodged a complaint concerning additions to the building work not included in the original contract. By 1888, with no agreement reached, the nearly completed building was beginning to deteriorate without ever having been occupied other than by ‘lowlife characters, tramps and ladies of pleasure’.

The place was eventually restored and opened as the Alcázar Hotel. It was notable for its neoclassical lines and architectural sobriety, and soon became one of the most important hotels in Cuba. Together with its prime position close to the seat of government (the Capitolio) as well as to the stores and banks of Old Havana, the hotel hosted important visitors to the Havana and boasted an excellent cuisine. It was particularly famous for the outdoor performances of some of the most popular orchestras of the time, including Anacaona, a very popular all-female band.

With the city expanding towards the west together with the construction of modern hotels in the Vedado neighbourhood, the Alcázar began to lose its fame. Following the Cuban Revolution it became an overly crowded tenement building taking on the slum-like quality it had once suffered at the beginning of its chequered life.

Following a ten year restoration undertaken by the City Historian’s Office in the 1990s, supported by a group of foreign investors, the newly named Saratoga Hotel opened its doors once again in November 2005. It is a joint venture managed by Habaguanex. The building has preserved its original façade, behind which a new building has been added with two more floors.

The Saratoga has—as with many beautiful figures in history—endured a sometimes difficult life. But it has emerged with all the grace and charm of her original design, and is another jewel in Havana’s crown.


  • Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes – Edificio de Arte Internacional

    Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes – Edificio de Arte Internacional  LH 5

    The International collection (Edificio de Arte Internacional) In 2001, after the new venues were chosen for the National Museum of Fine Arts, the international collection was installed in the former C …

    Maqueta de La Habana

    Maqueta de La Habana  LH 5+

    This scale model of Havana is the third largest scale model in the world. It was built at a scale of 1:1000 and spans over 144 square meters. It is approximately 22 meters long and 10 meters wide and …

    Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña

    Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña  LH 5+

    Constructed after the capture of Havana by British forces and named San Carlos de la Cabaña in honor of King Carlos III, this 700-meter long fortress is the largest in the Americas. It was designed by …

    El Chanchullero

    El Chanchullero  LH 5+

    El Chanchullero has got to win the most surprisingly good place in Havana award. This looks like a hole in the wall place in a downright run down looking part of Old Havana. It is a hassle to get to b …

    Tren de Hershey

    Tren de Hershey  LH 5+

    In 1926, Pennsylvania based Hershey Corporation built a 135-km-long electric railroad network in Cuba to transport product and personnel from Havana to Hershey’s sugar factory 45 km east of the capita …

    Plaza de Armas

    Plaza de Armas  LH 5+

    The early city was formally founded in 1519 on the northeast side of what would soon be laid out as Plaza de la Iglesia—named for the simple church that stood here until 1741, when it was destroyed fo …

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)

    Gran Parque Metropolitano (Parque Almendares)  LH 5+

    Along the banks of the Almendares River is Parque Almendares, also known as Bpsque de La Haband (Havana’s Forest). This is the only urban forest in the city and is a recreational area for Habaneros th …

    Plaza de San Francisco

    Plaza de San Francisco  LH 5+

    Right across Havana harbor, Plaza de San Francisco is one of the first three built in the 16th century. It takes its name from the Franciscan convent built there. The plaza became the site of a market …

    Plaza de la Catedral

    Plaza de la Catedral  LH 5+

    The last of the main squares to be created, this is one of Old Havana’s most beautiful spots. Originally, it was named Plaza de la Ciénaga (Swamp Square) because of its muddy terrain, but by the 18th …

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba

    Hotel Nacional de Cuba  LH 5+

    In response to the increasing influx of American tourists in the late 20s (mainly those who were escaping Prohibition, in force in the United States at the time), the construction of a luxury hotel wa …

    1 of 21 pages »