This street was built by order of Governor Miguel de Tacón in 1836 and connects the intersection of Reina and Belascoaín streets to the Castillo del Príncipe. It was originally named Paseo de Tacón. Later, in honor of King Carlos of Spain, Paseo de Tacón was renamed to Carlos III Avenue and a statue of the Spanish king was placed here. And although it later changed its name to Salvador Allende Avenue, people have simply kept calling it Carlos III. A number of notable buildings are situated here, including the Veterinary Faculty of the University of Havana, the Plaza Carlos III shopping center and the Masonic Lodge.