The Hermanos Ameijeiras hospital opened on December 3, 1982. In the late 1950s the dictator Batista planned the construction of a new building for the National Bank of Cuba on the grounds where the House of Charity and Maternity had been located since 1852. At the triumph of the Revolution, the project was in place and construction began. But the work had no social sense for the country at this time and, on the other hand, it was also a major financial burden. There was no shortage of ideas to turn it into a hotel, college residences, schools, etc. the architectural projects to turn it into a hospital began in late 1966. The hospital occupies an area of 35,500 square meters with. The monumental lobby measures 7 by 45 meters with a 15-meter high ceiling and murals by Romanian -Cuban artist Sandú darié.