Fundación Alejo Carpentier Casa de la Conde de la Reunión

CA3
Museum / Cultural center
Architectural style: Baroque
CA Ranking: 3
Best for: Gaining an insight to the work and thinking of one of Cuba’s most important 20th-century authors
Open: 8:30am-4:30pm Mon-Fri
Admission: Free
Empedrado #215, e/ Cuba y San Ignacio, Habana Vieja
  • On Empedrado Street, between Cuba and San Ignacio, a few doors from the famous Bodeguita del Medio, stands this building which belonged to Don Santiago de la Cuesta, Conde de la Reunión. Its style is predominantly baroque, evidenced in the asymmetric spatial layout, especially in the inner courtyard; however, its façade is strictly symmetric with a continuous balcony that has a discreet curvature at each end as if seeking coherence and harmony with the interior.

    Upon the Count’s death, the house was passed down to his wife and is therefore also known as the house of the Countess de la Reunión. Today it is home to the Fundación Alejo Carpentier since part of the action of the novel The Age of Enlightenment by the celebrated writer was set in this mansion.

    This foundation was created by the Ministry of Culture on May 24, 1982, to research and promote the work and aesthetic thinking of one of Cuba’s most important 20th-century authors, Alejo Carpentier y Valmont, as well as contemporary Cuban literature in general.

     

    
  • Patronato de la Casa de la Comunidad Hebrea y Gran Sinagoga bet Shalom

    Patronato de la Casa de la Comunidad Hebrea y Gran Sinagoga bet Shalom  LH 2

    This is the biggest of Cuba’s five synagogues and is considered one of the most important architectural works in the country. It has a hard-looking exterior with vertical lines that make reference to …

    Fuente de las Américas

    Fuente de las Américas  LH 2

    The Fuente de Las Américas, built as a tribute to the discoverer of the Americas, was inaugurated in 1924 as part of the construction of Avenida de las Américas, now known as 5ta Avenida. Made in whit …

    Hotel Telégrafo

    Hotel Telégrafo  LH 2+

    Initially located on Amistad Street and relocated in 1899 to its present site, the Telégrafo Hotel was rebuilt in 1911 and was considered then one of the most modern hotels in Havana. In 2001 it was r …

    Banco de La Habana

    Banco de La Habana  LH 2

    This 1915 two-story building was made of reinforced concrete. Its façade was composed of elements of the Ionic order and stood out because of its semicircular portico and its beautiful wooden door, wh …

    Parque de la Fraternidad

    Parque de la Fraternidad  LH 2

    By 1790, this originally mangrove swampy area became Campo de Marte, a military practice range, which was expanded in 1793 thanks to a project by Belgian engineer Agustin Cramer. And after Bishop Espa …

    Casa de Asia

    Casa de Asia  LH 2

    Opened in 1997, this small museum—upstairs in a townhouse mansion built in 1688—displays collections that depict the lifestyle, dress, religious beliefs, rituals and traditions from different Asiatic …

    Parque de los Mártires Universitarios

    Parque de los Mártires Universitarios  LH 2

    This cement park was built in 1967 to honor university students involved in Cuba’s independence struggles. The most notable element, located by the most important entrance, can be interpreted a fist, …

    Cárcel de la Habana

    Cárcel de la Habana  LH 2

    Up until 1834 there were no prisons in Havana. Back then, prisoners were crammed together in a small area on the Palacio de Gobierno’s basement. With this in mind, Lieutenant General Miguel Tacón, Gov …

    Casa del Científico (Casa de José Miguel Gómez)

    Casa del Científico (Casa de José Miguel Gómez)  LH 2

    The compact yet extravagant Beaux Arts building on the northwest corner of Prado and Trocadero was once the residence of Cuba’s second president, José Miguel Gómez, known as ‘El Tiburón’ (The Shark). …

    Museo Farmacia Taquechel

    Museo Farmacia Taquechel  LH 2

    This townhouse was adapted in 1898 into a pharmacy by Francisco Taquechel. Restored and reopened in 1996, it functions as pharmacy and museum. Its collection includes 19th-century French porcelain apo …

    « 20 of 22 pages »