Lonja del Comercio

CA4
General sightseeing
Architectural style: Eclectic
CA Ranking: 4
Open: 9am-5pm Mon-Sun
Lamparilla, esq. a Oficios, Habana Vieja
  • The Lonja del Comercio, which first opened on March 1909, is angled obliquely to the square on its northern side. It was built in eclectic-style by the architectural firm of Purdy and Henderson as a center for commodities trading. The original five-story building had a steel structure and used reinforced concrete for the roof and mezzanines and cement blocks for the outside walls. In 1939, an additional top floor was added, but fortunately it remained true to the initial conception of the building. The beautiful golden dome is crowned by a bronze statue of the god Mercury—a replica of the original work of the messenger god by Flemish artist Jean Boulogne (aka Giovanni Bologna).

    The ground floor was originally used for warehouses and the stock market, the 2nd and 3rd floors provided office space, while the 4th and 5th floors, which adopted a more sober ornamentation, were leased to customs brokers and trading companies.

    In the 1990s the entire building was gutted and new, very contemporary styled, innards built with effusive use of stainless steel and glass. Alas, the addition of a rooftop floor with a reflective glass façade obstructs the view of the beautiful golden dome and of Mercury. However, visitors can enter the building during working hours to admire the striking cupola (no photos allowed).

    The solid construction, which uses elements of the Spanish Renaissance style, is mitigated thanks to the light that filters in through numerous openings, and to the rhythm set by classical arches, columns and pilasters (retained in the reconstruction), both in the façade and in the interiors, arranged around a central courtyard.

    It now houses various international trade and diplomatic offices, the radio station Habana Radio of the City Historian’s Office, plus offices of Etecsa and foreign news bureaus and tour companies.

     

     

    
  • Patronato de la Casa de la Comunidad Hebrea y Gran Sinagoga bet Shalom

    Patronato de la Casa de la Comunidad Hebrea y Gran Sinagoga bet Shalom  LH 2

    This is the biggest of Cuba’s five synagogues and is considered one of the most important architectural works in the country. It has a hard-looking exterior with vertical lines that make reference to …

    Fuente de las Américas

    Fuente de las Américas  LH 2

    The Fuente de Las Américas, built as a tribute to the discoverer of the Americas, was inaugurated in 1924 as part of the construction of Avenida de las Américas, now known as 5ta Avenida. Made in whit …

    Hotel Telégrafo

    Hotel Telégrafo  LH 2+

    Initially located on Amistad Street and relocated in 1899 to its present site, the Telégrafo Hotel was rebuilt in 1911 and was considered then one of the most modern hotels in Havana. In 2001 it was r …

    Casa de Asia

    Casa de Asia  LH 2

    Opened in 1997, this small museum—upstairs in a townhouse mansion built in 1688—displays collections that depict the lifestyle, dress, religious beliefs, rituals and traditions from different Asiatic …

    Banco de La Habana

    Banco de La Habana  LH 2

    This 1915 two-story building was made of reinforced concrete. Its façade was composed of elements of the Ionic order and stood out because of its semicircular portico and its beautiful wooden door, wh …

    Parque de la Fraternidad

    Parque de la Fraternidad  LH 2

    By 1790, this originally mangrove swampy area became Campo de Marte, a military practice range, which was expanded in 1793 thanks to a project by Belgian engineer Agustin Cramer. And after Bishop Espa …

    Parque de los Mártires Universitarios

    Parque de los Mártires Universitarios  LH 2

    This cement park was built in 1967 to honor university students involved in Cuba’s independence struggles. The most notable element, located by the most important entrance, can be interpreted a fist, …

    Cárcel de la Habana

    Cárcel de la Habana  LH 2

    Up until 1834 there were no prisons in Havana. Back then, prisoners were crammed together in a small area on the Palacio de Gobierno’s basement. With this in mind, Lieutenant General Miguel Tacón, Gov …

    Museo Farmacia Taquechel

    Museo Farmacia Taquechel  LH 2

    This townhouse was adapted in 1898 into a pharmacy by Francisco Taquechel. Restored and reopened in 1996, it functions as pharmacy and museum. Its collection includes 19th-century French porcelain apo …

    Casa del Científico (Casa de José Miguel Gómez)

    Casa del Científico (Casa de José Miguel Gómez)  LH 2

    The compact yet extravagant Beaux Arts building on the northwest corner of Prado and Trocadero was once the residence of Cuba’s second president, José Miguel Gómez, known as ‘El Tiburón’ (The Shark). …

    « 20 of 22 pages »