Fundación Alejo Carpentier Casa de la Conde de la Reunión

CA3
Museum / Cultural center
Architectural style: Baroque
CA Ranking: 3
Best for: Gaining an insight to the work and thinking of one of Cuba’s most important 20th-century authors
Open: 8:30am-4:30pm Mon-Fri
Admission: Free
Empedrado #215, e/ Cuba y San Ignacio, Habana Vieja
  • On Empedrado Street, between Cuba and San Ignacio, a few doors from the famous Bodeguita del Medio, stands this building which belonged to Don Santiago de la Cuesta, Conde de la Reunión. Its style is predominantly baroque, evidenced in the asymmetric spatial layout, especially in the inner courtyard; however, its façade is strictly symmetric with a continuous balcony that has a discreet curvature at each end as if seeking coherence and harmony with the interior.

    Upon the Count’s death, the house was passed down to his wife and is therefore also known as the house of the Countess de la Reunión. Today it is home to the Fundación Alejo Carpentier since part of the action of the novel The Age of Enlightenment by the celebrated writer was set in this mansion.

    This foundation was created by the Ministry of Culture on May 24, 1982, to research and promote the work and aesthetic thinking of one of Cuba’s most important 20th-century authors, Alejo Carpentier y Valmont, as well as contemporary Cuban literature in general.

     

    
  • Cementerio de Espada

    Cementerio de Espada  LH 2

    First called Cementerio General de La Habana, the Cementerio de Espada was built after the Spanish authorities issued a Royal Edict banning burials in temples because it was considered unhygienic. The …

    Fuente de Neptuno

    Fuente de Neptuno  LH 2

    The Fuente de Neptuno (Fountain of Neptune) was imported from Italy. Besides its ornamental function, it also supplied water to three boats at the same time, for which large iron rings were placed for …

    Avenida de Carlos III (Ave. Salvador Allende)

    Avenida de Carlos III (Ave. Salvador Allende)  LH 2

    This street was built by order of Governor Miguel de Tacón in 1836 and connects the intersection of Reina and Belascoaín streets to the Castillo del Príncipe. It was originally named Paseo de Tacón. L …

    Casa Oswaldo Guayasamín

    Casa Oswaldo Guayasamín  LH 2

    This institution honors Ecuadorian painter Oswaldo Guayasamín (1919-1999), a dedicated socialist, supporter of the Cuban Revolution, and close friend to Fidel Castro. It’s located in an 18th-century m …

    Casa Cubana del Perfume

    Casa Cubana del Perfume  LH 2

    This quaint and lovely shop sells perfumes from the Cuban Suchel brand, and prepares personalized fragrances on site according to patrons’ tastes. It also doubles as a small museum, with a 19th-centur …

    Parque Arqueológico de la Maestranza

    Parque Arqueológico de la Maestranza  LH 2

    By the 1700s, Havana boasted an artillery factory for the manufacture and repair of weapons and ammunition. The factory was demolished and a “castle” was the built for the Police. This archeological s …

    Hotel Presidente

    Hotel Presidente  LH 2

    This is Havana’s first skyscraper and was inaugurated on December 28, 1928. It took its name from the street it is situated in and is the only hotel that features Cuba’s coat of arms on its façade. It …

    Clock Tower

    Clock Tower  LH 2

    Between 1921 and 1924, a clock tower was built on Fifth Avenue. It was designed by New Yorker John H. Duncan, one of the architects that contributed to the layout of the avenue and who also designed t …

    Museo del Naipe Marqués de Prado Ameno

    Museo del Naipe Marqués de Prado Ameno  LH 2

    Opened on May 2, 2001, the small yet immensely impressive Playing Card Museum occupies the ground floor of the Casa del Marqués de Prado Amero, dating from the 17th century and the oldest building in …

    Iglesia y Convento de Santa Catalina de Siena

    Iglesia y Convento de Santa Catalina de Siena  LH 2

    The Convent of the Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine of Siena moved from its former site in Old Havana to a new and prime location in El Vedado on May 13, 1918. The construction of the convent and …

    « 19 of 22 pages »